The build's done. As much it can be for now.
I left some panels off and most main parts aren't glued tight yet as I'm getting ready for paint.
There are already quite a few things I want to do very differently in my next build. Most notably the weld seams... they are waaaay to crude now. I'm just chalking it up to experience and learning. We'll see how they come out after paint and weathering, maybe they be won't as noticably crappy.
I rebuild the rocket launchers out of styrene, as I couldn't get them seamless and smooth looking (without just about sanding the entire rings off anyway). This was quite a learning experience in itself. First cutting the styrene tubing to size was a nightmare, before I found this neat little pipe cutter.
Getting the styrene strip glued onto the barrels was a bit of a b*ll ache too, but I learned that after I scraped the inside of the strip with a knife (making it curl and slightly thinner) and switching to a hotter glue (for the first 3 I used Tamiya Extra Thin, but switched to the hotter Plastruct glue), they went on ok.
I also added some extra nuts/bolts that I cut off the sprue, here and there. Most notably on the back cover, which I couldn't get to fit exactly. I didn't mind the bad fit as I liked the idea of this thing having been taken off and put on a few times, by the field mechanics, and to accentuate this idea I added the bolts there (some rust and chips will be added later too).
There were also some holes in the legs I didn't really like (in the hydraulics and in the gear-looking thing through which the screw goes to attach the leg...if you opted for that construction route) (I didn't). I put another bolt in the hole in the hydraulics part and just filled the hole in the gear looking thing with putty.
That's all for now.
Next up; deciding on a paint scheme and method… undecided between, AB / HS or all brushes.
Thanks for looking!